Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chocolate Ice Milk


My ice cream maker has been getting quite a workout lately. In the past few weeks, I've turned out cinnamon ice cream, coconut-banana ice cream and chocolate ice milk. I have a Krups LaGlaciere, circa mid-90s. It's a handy ice cream maker, definitely easier than the electric or hand-churn types of my youth that required rock salt and patience. The hard part of the Krups is remembering to put the canister in the freezer a few hours before churning time. It's easiest if I just store the canister full-time in the freezer, that way, I can make ice cream whenever the mood strikes.

The chocolate ice milk was a hit with my family, surprising since it's made with bittersweet chocolate. It began life as a failed experiment - I just thought I'd see what happens when you use milk instead of cream when making ganache. Left with grainy, rich dark chocolate syrup, I decided to try freezing, adding vanilla and sugar before churning. The resulting icy treat was rich and chocolaty, more dense than the usual ice cream, but a decidedly yummy dessert.

Chocolate Ice Milk

8 ounces whole milk

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, such as Hershey's Special Dark, broken into pieces

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring whole milk to a simmer. Pour over broken chocolate in a bowl and stir, stir, stir until smooth. Add vanilla and granulated sugar. Let cool. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

No comments: