Saturday, January 16, 2010

Required Reading

A rare Saturday afternoon at home and while the girls played with the Wii, I caught up on reading. Roger Ebert is a thoughtful writer and this piece from the Chicago Sun-Times explains his health problems of recent years and what he misses most about not eating. Roger Ebert's story "Nil by Mouth" here.

My current fiction read is "The Piano Teacher" by Janice Y.K. Lee, about Hong Kong during WWII and again in 1953. I'll probably follow this with "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. I read the first eight pages and want to know more about the characters and setting - always a good sign.

My newest cookbook is "My Bread" by Jim Lahey of the Sullivan Street Bakery. I've turned out about a half dozen of the no-knead loaves and they are wonderful.

Next on my cookbook must-purchase list: "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I've perused this book already. I think it's Rose's most beautiful book - lots of photographs, all stunning. Of course, the recipes will be first-rate, I expect nothing less.

No comments: