Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mom's Apple Pie


This fall, with the abundance of fragrant and delicious organic apples from Farmer's Fresh, I got serious about pie making and baking. My mom is a wonderful cook, and bakes terrific cakes, but has always been intimidated by pie pastry, so, although I've learned a lot at my mom's apron strings, pie crust is not one of them.


My favorite resource is America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, and I used its recipe for this Double-Crust Apple Pie. The pie was loaded with about a dozen organic apples, mostly Golden Delicious, but a few Fujis in there as well. The Golden Delicious apples were spectacular, deeply fragrant and floral, and the crust was perfect.

1 comment:

Lynn Coulter said...

What a gorgeous pie!! Makes me want to hang up my apron, because I've never come close to baking such a beautiful crust. Bet it tasted even better than it looked, too.
Lynn